6th Joint Call
Projects recommended for funding
In 2014, ERA-IB-2 and EuroTransBio (ETB) launched the 6th transnational joint call for multilateral research projects using Industrial Biotechnology (IB).
With this joint call, ERA-IB and ETB wish to foster the integration of the different steps throughout the entire value chain. This has resulted in the following 13 projects being recommended for funding (out of the 28 full proposals submitted):
- ASTINPROD: Enhancing production of the anti-tumor compound astin by a novel fungal endophyte of Aster tataricus
- BioProMo: Biotechnological production of monoterpenoids
- Convert-Si: Conversion of phytogenic silica reach food industry by-products into value-added products
- CrossCat: Symbiosis of bio - and chemo-catalysts for the sustainable conversion of hemicelluloses
- FAPA: Fumaric acid for polymer applications
- FunBioPlas: Novel synthetic biocomposites for biomedical devices
- FunChi: Fungal chitosans from fermentation mycelia for plant biostimulants
- No-P: Enzymatic sugar coupling
- SurfGlyco: Enhanced fermentative and biocatalytic conversion strategies of renewables to tailor-made glycolipid biosurfactants
- TTRaFFIC: Toxicity and transport for fungal production of industrial compounds
- YeastTempTation: Tailoring thermo-tolerant yeasts for more sustainable, eco-efficient and competitive industrial fermentations
- Z-Fuels: A novel bacterial system with integrated micro-bubble distillation for the production of acetaldehyde
- 2GEnzymes: Enzymes for 2G sugars
Funding was available for innovative industry-relevant Industrial Biotechnology projects on the following topics:
1. Conversion of industrial by-products and biomass into value-added products;
2. Novel systems for new or more sustainable processes; e.g. the use of enzymes, micro-organisms and cell-free biosynthesis systems;
3. New compounds from existing but previously under-studied biological systems, through a greater understanding of their metabolic pathways;
4. Modeling and optimization of biological processes;
5. Process development, intensification and/or integration in existing industrial processes; e.g. upstream or downstream design, scale-up of biotechnological processes, etc.
The submitted projects needed to identify the product (produced by biotechnological processes) and market to be addressed. For example: 1. Bio-based materials; 2. Platform chemicals, such as bio-monomers, oligomers and polymers; 3. Pharmaceuticals, functional food/feed ingredients.